McAfee and Comcast
Gregory447
2007-07-31 06:58:01 UTC
I am only in my 3rd year of computer use: hp pav. laptop. My ISP is Comcast
(east coast USA) with McAfee Security Suite included for $58 Mo. I have
heard some negative things about this security and I would appreciate any
feedback as to the problems I face and to whether it is sufficient for me at
this time, or whether I would be best off paying for a different firewall and
virus protection. Thanks, love you all !
Gregory
Gregory447
Gregory
Malke
2007-07-31 12:40:41 UTC
Post by Gregory447
I am only in my 3rd year of computer use: hp pav. laptop. My ISP is Comcast
(east coast USA) with McAfee Security Suite included for $58 Mo. I have
heard some negative things about this security and I would appreciate any
feedback as to the problems I face and to whether it is sufficient for me at
this time, or whether I would be best off paying for a different firewall and
virus protection. Thanks, love you all !
It's quite all right that you posted here. McAfee is dreadful. A lot of
ISPs offer it as a free download. You aren't paying for it separately
from your Comcast cable subscription.

I would uninstall McAfee and replace it with something far better.
Recommended antivirus programs are NOD32, Kaspersky, and Avast if you
want a free one. The built-in firewall in Windows XP is adequate for
most people.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Gregory
2007-07-31 14:30:02 UTC
Thanks Malke. Are these 3 antivirus programs better than AVG/Ewido? I read
that Windows Firewall only has incoming protection. Could that be a problem
down the road if I am posting in several forums?
--
Gregory
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Malke
2007-07-31 15:07:03 UTC
Post by Gregory
Thanks Malke. Are these 3 antivirus programs better than AVG/Ewido? I read
that Windows Firewall only has incoming protection. Could that be a problem
down the road if I am posting in several forums?
I haven't recommended AVG for a long time, at least the free version. I
don't like their updating schedule, they seem to be slow in adding
definitions for new viruses, and they've had issues with false-positives.

I sometimes use Ewido in my malware-cleaning process and occasionally
still do because it has been good at catching trojans. I never leave it
installed on clients' machines though. I'm generally not a fan of having
antispyware programs run resident and I found Ewido to be pretty
CPU-intensive, especially on older machines.

Yes, the Windows Firewall has only incoming protection. This has nothing
to do with posting in forums. You're too smart to click on unknown links
and download questionable files, right? ;-) As I said, for most people
Windows Firewall is fine. If you really want a more full-featured
firewall, I've heard good things about Comodo. I use the XP Windows
Firewall on all my Windows machines, several of which are used by
teenaged boys, and have had no difficulties. Of course, my users (aged
14 and 18!) are very well-educated in practicing "Safe Hex". I'll give
you some links to help you with that. A full-featured firewall such as
Comodo will ask you to make determinations about what programs to block
and if you feel comfortable with that, certainly give it a try. Most of
my clients don't know what to answer though and that's why I recommend
just using the Windows Firewall.

Safe Hex:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971 - So How Did I Get
Infected Anyway?
http://www.getsafeonline.org/
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html
http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2006/02/05/82584.aspx - MVP
Harry Waldron - The Family PC - How to stay safe on the Internet
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm - Eric Howes on
Rogue Antispyware Programs

Hope this has helped answer your questions.

Malke
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
someone
2007-07-31 20:22:39 UTC
I have AVG (the pro version, though) and it updates every day when I first
log on. It is true that they've had a false positive for me, and I read of
others, but they said they have eliminated the false positives.
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Tom Willett
2007-07-31 21:24:58 UTC
AVG makes updates available sometimes several times a day.

Tom

Vanguard
2007-07-31 21:30:16 UTC
Post by Gregory
Thanks Malke. Are these 3 antivirus programs better than AVG/Ewido?
I read
that Windows Firewall only has incoming protection. Could that be a problem
down the road if I am posting in several forums?
I used the McAfee security suite provided free by Comcast for several
months. It slowed the computer. I eventually uninstalled McAfee and
went with AVG anti-virus and Comodo firewall. I trialed several but
settled on these. I will say that McAfee antivirus was faster at
scanning files downloaded through IE than is AVG but I only do downloads
occasionally. I tried Avira's AV program but grew hostile of its
bannerware during updates that interfere with other running programs.
For comparison of anti-virus programs, see the on-demand Comparatives
section at:

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Notice that Microsoft's OneCare (whose anti-virus product is based on
the RAV product they bought over a year ago) rates the WORST coverage.
McAfee has gone downhill. The free AVG anti-virus only updates once per
day. Doesn't sound like often enough but that depends on how active you
are in downloading files from unknown or untrusted sources, leaving
ActiveX enabled in your browser, or other unsafe Net practices. Only
during an outbreak, and usually after a couple days later when
signatures became available, did I see Norton or McAfee have more often
updates than once per day. Of course, you could manually update AVG
before using it to scan a downloaded file.

Regarding anti-malware products, the free version of Grisoft's AVG
AntiSpyware (used to be ewido) is a good product. I use it only using
its on-demand scanner (i.e., for manual scans). Although not terrific,
I use Windows Defender. The problem with WD, AVG AS, WinPatrol, or
programs like this is that they are reactive and tell you sometime
afterward that something changed but can't tell you what made the change
because that process is already gone (i.e., WD and WinPatrol poll for
changes which gives you *late* detection with the ability to undo the
detected changes). They are not true IPS (intrusion protection system)
programs but rather they are IDS (intrusion detection system) programs.
PrevX is an IPS that is proactive in that it will pend any request for a
change so the change is not committed until you allow them (or have
allowed them before and selected to remember that choice). Alas, the
PrevX research version isn't free anymore.

To regulate what can and cannot load into memory, try using DiamondCS
ProcessGuard. They have a free version which isn't as secure (or
restrictive to programs) as their paid version but it still provides a
good layer of security. If a program cannot load into memory, it cannot
run.

For some other free anti-malware (used for on-demand scanning), look at:

SuperAntiSpyware
Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
Grisoft AVG AntiRootkit, SysInternals Rootkit Revealer

For a firewall, look at Comodo Firewall. I like this one over many that
I've trialed (used to use Sygate Pro buy Symantec killed it). However,
I've been unimpressed with the other Comodo free products.

For protection during web surfing, you could look into using VMWare
Server or Virtual PC (both free) and doing your browsing in a virtual
machine. With VMWare Server, you get to save a snapshot, like after a
fresh OS install and updates, do your surfing, and then revert to the
base or clean snapshot to undo everything that changed while surfing.
With Virtual PC, you have to create the VM and then save a copy of the
subdirectory where those VM files got created to later slide them in as
your "snapshot" (i.e., manual but doable). Alternatively, you could use
Sandboxie as a VM that runs under your current environment. Anything
that changes within the Sandboxie VM, like downloading and installing AX
controls, home page changes, or whatever will disappear when you exit
that VM (i.e., all changes while browsing are written into the VM
instead of into your OS environment. It will, however, restrict you
from downloading any files. The free version becomes nagware after the
30-day trial period.
Gregory
2007-07-31 22:30:00 UTC
A million thanks Vanguard! How grateful I am for all the trial and error
testing you have done and then passing it on to me (and others, I hope).
That was emense.
-The latest (and only) free version of Zone Alarm is causing big problems
with XP2003. Only works with 2000XP and Vista. Where can I click to find
out in my files what year WXPHSP2 I have installed. Could be on the
properties, but I can't find it. I have the reinstalation and repair- CD from
hp but all it says on the label is Copyright 2004. I purchased my hp laptop
new in the beginning of 2005. I may steer away from Zone Alarm, from all the
bad reviews it's getting and look into Comodo Firewall. I also do a manual
weekly scan with Ewido, which has become AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and it picks up
a lot of stuff that McAfee misses. I also use the PCOnPoint Windows Regestry
Cleaner, Kernel 32 DLL Error Message fix & Access Violation Repair I
purchased early last year. When I went to their live chat support for an
update, they downloaded for free their latest version 4.1 about a month ago.
I had just done a scan previous to this new download and when I did another
with the new 4.1, it came up with 475 errors !! Being rather new, they have
become much more comprehensive. I'll let you go. Thanks again !! Gratefully
yours,
Gregory
30-day trial period.
Gregory
2007-07-31 23:10:01 UTC
PC.World tested Firewalls and ranked Comodo Firewall 2.3 first with 9,350
points out of possible 9,625. Jetico came in second with 9,125 points and
Zone Alarm was a distant third. All free. The test included free and
"for-hire" firewalls !!! You were dead right Vanguard ! I tip my Hat to you.
--
Gregory
30-day trial period.
Vanguard
2007-08-02 00:45:20 UTC
Post by Gregory
PC.World tested Firewalls and ranked Comodo Firewall 2.3 first with 9,350
points out of possible 9,625. Jetico came in second with 9,125 points and
Zone Alarm was a distant third. All free. The test included free and
"for-hire" firewalls !!! You were dead right Vanguard ! I tip my Hat to you.
Just don't get too lured by Comodo products. I trialed their v2.0
anti-virus software and it is severely bloated, consuming 97MB total
(real + virtual memory). It is still beta and supposedly to be released
sometime the end of July (well, that's gone and still it's beta).
Unless they address their memory bloat, I won't be using it. The reason
I wanted to check it out is both their anti-virus and firewall include
HIPS (host intrusion protection system) which would integrate well
together. I suspect part of the HIPS that will go into their anti-virus
product will be from their BOClean product but that isn't what I'd call
a full-fledged HIPS product. Their firewall uses HIPS to regulate what
can call what to get a connection while the HIPS in their
anti-virus/spyware product will regulate what can load what into memory.
Just be ready for lots of prompts. They have their white- and
blacklists (and Safety Net Monitor has its learn mode you use on a clean
host) but they can be daunting the first few days with all the prompts
and you having to analyze what they're telling you.

I had suggested ProcessGuard but have since changed to using System
Safety Monitor. Both are free and another HIPS product. ProcessGuard
was the gold standard but System Safety Monitor goes further but has a
smaller memory footprint than ProcessGuard. I'm just using the free
versions so not all the security features are there. Don't bother with
using any HIPS program if you can't understand what the prompts mean.
Saying "yes" to all prompts obviates the point of using the product. So
now my security cocktail is:

Active programs (constantly running):
System Safety Monitor
AVG anti-virus
Comodo firewall
Windows Defender

Inactive programs (those I run manually for on-demand scanning):
Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D
SuperAntispyware
AVG Anti-Spyware (ewido)
SpywareBlaster (only for AX disable & bad sites but never for
cookies)
HijackThis

Protected environments:
VMWare Server
Sandboxie (becomes nagware after the 30-day trial)

I no longer use a-squared because their coverage has waned severely.
Nothing a-squared found wasn't already discovered by ewido. Trojan
Hunter is very bad and asked that their product be withdrawn from the
anti-malware review performed at av-comparatives.org
(http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/atreport2006.pdf). I
certainly wished this site did comparisons more often of anti-malware
products but I suppose they're busy enough with testing the anti-virus
programs (some of which don't even make it to their list). Of note,
however, is that such tests that rank purely on coverage of known pests
doesn't reflect how well they work against zero-day pests, and HIPS
products work by regulating what can run or what can connect rather than
cure an already infested host. Any product that you don't know how to
use is a waste of disk space and like buying an elephant gun to shoot a
mosquito (i.e., not an appropriate choice). It has to be a product you
can use or one to which you can become self-educated to use properly.

Security is the antithesis of ease-of-use. The more secure is a host,
the less easy it is to use that host (i.e., more security means more
stuff in your way). That's why I decided not to go paranoid and have a
slew of various anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, HIPS, and
whatever else security products running. I'd actually like to USE my
computer and have it remain responsive. I try to find a cocktail of
products that gives me reasonable security but without a lot of wasted
overlap and still lets me use my host. So far, the above cocktail of 4
active security products has given me with a decent but not onerous
level of security without severely impacting the responsiveness of my
host. All running software impacts your host to some degree so going
extreme is self-defeating.
Gregory
2007-08-02 11:40:09 UTC
Thanks Vanguard, you have been a great help !! I'm going to mix this
cocktail and install it. Was it you who mentioned the Grisoft AVG
Anti-Rootkit? I read a review, and they said to be carefull, it is BETA.
What did they mean? Is this program too big or powerfull for my laptop?
HP Pavillion xv5330us 7.9 lbs.
-- Intel Pent. 4 3.2 GH
Gregory 512 MB 80 GB Hard Drive
extreme is self-defeating.
Gregory
extreme is self-defeating.
Vanguard
2007-08-03 09:50:02 UTC
Post by Gregory
Thanks Vanguard, you have been a great help !! I'm going to mix this
cocktail and install it. Was it you who mentioned the Grisoft AVG
Anti-Rootkit? I read a review, and they said to be carefull, it is BETA.
What did they mean? Is this program too big or powerfull for my laptop?
HP Pavillion xv5330us 7.9 lbs.
-- Intel Pent. 4 3.2 GH
Gregory 512 MB 80 GB Hard Drive
You are at what I would consider the bare minimum for memory to run
Windows XP. I don't care what Microsoft says is the minimum. Their
"recommendation" level is actually the minimum.

Memory consumption (totals):
System Safety Monitor: 12MB real + 9MB virtual
AVG antivirus: 4MB real + 33MB virtual
Comodo firewall: 32MB real + 28MB virtual
Windows Defender: 24MB real + 17MB virtual

Whether the above impacts your real memory consumption too much really
depends on how much you currently have free or what others you could
eliminate from loading on startup. I would recommend NOT using System
Safety Monitor (or ProcessGuard) if you can't figure out all the
prompts. These provide protection at a low level so answering prompts
about the caller program or using a library or hooks might be beyond
your understanding. I sometimes get daunted by the prompts trying to
figure out my best choice.

The other products I mentioned are only run as on-demand scanners. That
is, I don't enable (or I disable) any background processes or startup of
them. I just use them manually to do scans when I feel like it.
Gregory
2007-08-03 21:46:03 UTC
Hello, I uninstalled McAfee and installed Comodo FW; Windows Defender;
AVG(Ewido) Antispy; Avast Anti-Virus; and Ad-Aware. They are all running
smoothly, thanks to all the help I got here. You have been a big help
Vanguard and I will never forget your care and kindness. Gratefully,
--
Gregory
Vanguard
2007-08-03 23:32:25 UTC
Post by Gregory
Hello, I uninstalled McAfee and installed Comodo FW; Windows
Defender;
AVG(Ewido) Antispy; Avast Anti-Virus; and Ad-Aware. They are all running
smoothly, thanks to all the help I got here. You have been a big help
Vanguard and I will never forget your care and kindness. Gratefully,
AVG Antispy (ewido) will cripple itself after the 30-day trial, so there
is no point in leaving it configured to load on Windows startup since
eventually it won't do that.

Ken Blake, MVP
2007-07-31 15:14:42 UTC
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:58:01 -0700, Gregory447
Post by Gregory447
I am only in my 3rd year of computer use: hp pav. laptop. My ISP is Comcast
(east coast USA) with McAfee Security Suite included for $58 Mo. I have
heard some negative things about this security and I would appreciate any
feedback as to the problems I face and to whether it is sufficient for me at
this time, or whether I would be best off paying for a different firewall and
virus protection. Thanks, love you all !
My advice is to get rid of McAfee. Next to Norton, it's the worst
security software on the market.

But no need to pay for anything else. There are lots of excellent
freeware alternatives. I recommend the free version of ZoneAlarm, and
the free Avast! antivirus.

Over and above firewall and antivirus programs, you also need
anti-spyware software. I recommend running more than one of
these--Adaware, Spyware Blaster, and Spybot Search and Destroy,
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Gregory
2007-07-31 15:46:05 UTC
Wonderful info and recommendations gentlemen. Muchos Gracias. One last
pain, can I download the free Zone Alarm, Avast!, Adaware and Spyware Blaster
before I erase McAfee, or do I need to get rid of McAfee first ?
--
Gregory
Jim
2007-07-31 16:57:27 UTC
Post by Gregory
Wonderful info and recommendations gentlemen. Muchos Gracias. One last
pain, can I download the free Zone Alarm, Avast!, Adaware and Spyware Blaster
before I erase McAfee, or do I need to get rid of McAfee first ?
--
Gregory
You download everything you need first. Then, you disconnect the computer
from the internet (for example, turn off the modem).
Next, you uninstall McAfee via the control panel. It is easier to get rid
of McAfee than Norton (or was to me).
Then, you install and configure the programs.
Finally, you reconnect the computer to the internet.
Now, you can update all of the programs.
After all this is done, you perform a virus, etc., scan using your Avast,
Adaware, etc.

Before you ever start, you should at the very least create a restore point.
More cautious folks would perform a full backup.
Jim
Gregory
2007-07-31 19:56:00 UTC
Could you tell me where I can download these programs? When I download them,
will they go into a certain file and not install ? Will the site guide me
through this, or do I do it manually? Which folder should I put them in?
Once they are in a folder, what do I do to install them? I'm afraid they
will install before I uninstall McAfee. Thanks Gentlemen,
--
Gregory
Ken Blake, MVP
2007-07-31 17:21:05 UTC
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:46:05 -0700, Gregory
Post by Gregory
Wonderful info and recommendations gentlemen. Muchos Gracias.
You're welcome. Glad to help.
Post by Gregory
One last
pain, can I download the free Zone Alarm, Avast!, Adaware and Spyware Blaster
before I erase McAfee, or do I need to get rid of McAfee first ?
You can download them any time. But don't install them until McAfee is
uninstalled. Disconnect from the internet for the period that you are
unprotected.
Gregory
2007-07-31 18:34:09 UTC
Thank you Sir. I was just returning to reply to what Jim told me in this
thread, after doing a little research in the Zone Alarm User Forum. A post
reads: "If you had Norton or McAfee Firewall or Anti-Virus installed, even
with it is turned off, both of them will conflict with the install of Zone
Alarm."......................................................................

-http://forum.zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=64070&query.id=17198#M64070 (Very bottom of page)-
Gregory
Gregory
2007-07-31 19:34:03 UTC
I apologize. That web address should read:
http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=
64070&query.id=17198#M64070 click Re:RE Instalation Kasspersky
Antivirus GeorgeV 02-28-2007 01:35 PM then scroll down to bottom of
page. I haven't learned how to cut, copy and paste yet.........
Gregory
Gregory
Gregory
Gregory
Gregory
2007-07-31 20:26:00 UTC
After I reviewed everthing you gentlemen told me a few times, I realize that
what was on that message board was exactly what you instructed me to do. I
wasted your valuable time and I am deeply sorry,
--
Gregory
Gregory
b***@aol.com
2007-08-02 12:40:25 UTC
Post by Gregory447
I am only in my 3rd year of computer use: hp pav. laptop. My ISP is Comcast
(east coast USA) with McAfee Security Suite included for $58 Mo. I have
heard some negative things about this security and I would appreciate any
feedback as to the problems I face and to whether it is sufficient for me at
this time, or whether I would be best off paying for a different firewall and
virus protection. Thanks, love you all !
Comodo firewall ( free ) , Avast antivirus ( free ) .